Sunday, November 26, 2006

god only knows what i'd be without you



Regular readers of this blog know that I am kind of a big fan of Daniel Johnston... so naturally, I am pretty excited about his latest contribution on The Beach Boys tribute album, Do It Again: A Tribute To Pet Sounds. Johnston covered "God Only Knows", one of the best and most important songs in modern music. The original version is a highly complex and in my opinion, Brian Wilson’s best production! With that being said, Johnston’s version of "God Only Knows" is horribly unbearable! I am tremendously disappointed... Johnston totally butchered the song... I couldn’t even listen to the entire thing.

I am now afraid to hear the rest of the tribute to Pet Sounds, despite the fact that Patrick Wolf and Architecture In Helsinki are both featured on the album.

Daniel Johnston: God Only Knows [totally-lame song]
The Beach Boys: God Only Knows [super-wicked-cool song]
***files have expired, reload upon request

No comments: